Successful Design Strategies for Hot and Dry Climate
Climate has always been a pivotal factor in Architectural design. Thermal comfort, energy-saving schemes, and Eco-friendly principles are required to be kept in mind while building homes to make them most comfortable for the families that reside in them. Variations in weather conditions are beyond our control, thus preparing for changes is mandatory for architects to implement while designing a space. Here are a few successful strategies that can be used during the hot and dry climate:
- Detailing building fenestration design and construction details to promote shading, heat loss and insulation.
- Larger building dimensions should face north & south.
- Double walls with insulation in between are a suitable solution
- The size of the windows on the east and west sides should be minimized in order to reduce heat gain
- The flat roof is a good reflector and re-radiates heat efficiently, especially if it consists of a solid, white painted material.
- The courtyard is provided with water and plants, it acts as a cooling source.
- Internal courtyards provide cross ventilation and natural cooling.
- Inlets to be provided at lower levels and outlets at a higher level as they serve to vent the hot air.
- Suitable radiation barriers in the form of canopies, chajjas, and long verandahs should be provided on the west side of the building.
There are many states in India which has a hot and dry climate which are described below:
Rajasthan: Jaisalmer –
This is called the “Golden City” of Rajasthan. The yellow sand and yellow sandstone that’s utilized in each engineering of the city gives a yellowish brilliant tinge to the city and its encompassing regions. The Architectural style plan that is used in this is “courtyard planning”. Other cities in Rajasthan include Kota, Baran, Jhalawar, Banswara, southwest Udaipur and adjacent areas of Mt. Abu.
Madhya Pradesh –
The places which have a hot and dry climate in MP is Gwalior, Jabalpur, Sagar, Rewa, Singrauli.
Ahmadabad is the capital which has the maximum hot and dry climate throughout summer.
Andhra Pradesh – Vijayawada, Khammam, Thallarevu (East Godavari) are some of the southern places in AP.
In conclusion, would like to suggest a few points the one can implement for a comfortable living arrangement :
Increase greenery in your building wherever possible i.e., Balcony, Courtyard, Outdoors, Entrance etc.
Know about the importance of interrelation between climate and design of the houses.
Use Eco-friendly materials that are suitable for all seasons.